We are a family of super hero fans (well, all except my DH). When I mentioned to a colleague sometime ago that some of my favorite TV shows (well, actually my favorite!) include The Flash, The Arrow, and a whole bunch of other Netflix Marvel series, the first question was ‘do you watch them because of your kids?’. My answer – ‘my kids watch them because of me!’ So I must be one among the few moms (as far as I know, at least) past 40 watching and loving such shows and movies. I totally devoured all of the Avenger movies and as a kid, read tons of the DC and Marvel comics (it was a miracle that in our sleepy little town in the middle of somewhere, my dad’s friend had a wonderful collection!!).
So, while we have not yet headed to the theater to watch ‘Thor: Ragnarok’, the Thanksgiving holiday is just around the corner and it is movie time!! Many super hero or more specifically, Justice League of America (JLA) fans are waiting for tomorrow – the release of the Justice League movie. Here are some cool and random facts about the Justice League that you may not already know.
- The Justice League is not the first team of superheroes. It was the Justice Society of America which consisted of earlier versions of some of the current JLA members.
- Their first villain was a starfish named Starro. (Brave and the Bold #28)
- The Atom – one hero we really enjoyed watching on CW – attended meetings in a flying chair!!
- Malcolm Merlyn, the villain you(I) want to like, on ‘The Arrow’, is actually a JLA villain. He is now so much part of the Green Arrow world that it might be hard for fans to imagine something else.
- They had an annoying non-superhero sidekick in Lucas Snapper Carr (who had to give up his membership after he revealed their hideout to the Joker)
- Their hideout – a secret cave outside Happy Harbor, Rhode Island.
- Hawkeye is the only superhero who is in both the Avengers and the JLA.
- Many believe that the Marvel comics superhero teams, first the Fantastic Four, and later the Avengers, were created because of the success of the JLA.
- Wonder Woman is one of the superhero characters who has successfully wielded the hammer of Thor.
- Flash gave Aquaman his moniker.
- Cyborg, the half-man, half-machine has the ability of ‘technopathy’ – the ability to communicate with technology around him
- Wonder Woman had to prove her worthiness on her return to the League after leaving for a brief spell by performing twelve trials comparable to that of Hercules.
- The upcoming (well here already) movie is based on the DC Comics relaunch – the New 52.
and one more before I sign off for the day, the JL also has Rex the Wonder Dog.
So, to my readers I ask: 1) will you be watching the movie in theaters? 2) who is your favorite superhero (if you enjoy reading/watching superhero related books/shows)?
And while you are here, have a look at my Holidays related posts for gift ideas and more (click on the Holidays menu link above) and subscribe to receive updates (no spam, I promise) once in a few weeks.