Everyone needs motivation to keep going forward. And recognition is definitely a ‘big’ little bit of motivation.
If I think in the specific terms of blogging and writing, then the joy of doing what I love doing as well as the satisfaction achieved on a completed post (even higher when you feel it is a well written one) motivate me to keep going. In addition, I know that I have learned something by the end of every post I write; the writing itself, as well as the reading (of a book for a review post for example), and research I end up doing for almost every post, ensures I know something I did not know earlier.
Also, since ‘practice makes perfect,’ each post lends itself towards my writing practice. Knowing all this keeps me motivated. And then, there is the awesome community around me to continually inspire and motivate. Recognition (while not really working towards that goal) adds an extra burst of ‘extra’ to that motivation!
Note: Like I mentioned earlier, I read or research for most posts; this one was no different. I had planned to add more to the motivation section of this post after all the interesting reading I did. But that will be another post later. Meanwhile, here are some of the interesting articles I enjoyed:
- What is Motivation? A Psychologist Explains. (Positive Psychology)
- Motivation and factors affecting motivation (Open Learn)
- What Motivates Us and Why (Psychology Today)
“True motivation comes from achievement, personal development, job satisfaction, and recognition.” – Frederick Herzberg
The Sunshine Blogger Award
- Thank the blogger(s) who nominated you in a blog post and link back to their blog.
- Answer the 11 questions sent by the person who nominated you.
- Nominate 11 new blogs to receive the award and write them 11 new questions.
- List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo in your post and/or on your blog.
Thank you so much to Alexis from Purple Shelf Club for nominating me for the Sunshine Blogger Award! I first interacted with Alexis through IG, and soon checked out her really cool blog. She has inspired me to try out more things on my blog, and for myself.
Q: What Is This Award?
Short Answer: A Big Little Bit of Motivation!
The Sunshine Blogger Award is a community-driven blogging award. It is given by bloggers to other bloggers who they believe inspire creativity and positivity while spreading “sunshine.” And I believe both the giving and receiving of this award spreads more sunshine all around!
It is always wonderful when bloggers we enjoy reading recognize us. That motivates me to continue and to be a better blogger! A heartfelt Thank You to the blogging community for all your support and encouragement, always!
“Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.”- Voltaire
My Answers to Alexis’ Questions
What is your favorite location to read? Why?
I am not sure if I have a favorite location to read, as I will read anywhere and everywhere! But I do have a favorite location at home though – everyone knows not to sit on that couch for it is my space. And considering we have been home since March, I think I have spent so much time on that couch that my family most likely see me there even when I am elsewhere :-)l.
What is your favorite classic novel?
Do I have to give one answer? Because when I think of the answer, I automatically get a few names rolling, tumbling one after the other. Can I do a Top Ten list instead? And be warned, I forget how to count when I do top ten lists!!
What genre are you mainly reading right now?
I seem to find myself reading a lot of historical fiction this past month. Otherwise, my genres vary from board books (even though my kids are teens now and would not be seen near a board book!) to cookbooks to memoirs to romance to … well, you get it, .
What is your favorite thing to do besides reading? Least favorite?
Writing is my other favorite thing, as well as drawing and dancing and trying out new recipes. Least favorite has to be the dishes!
Describe yourself in 3 words only!
Friendly, patient, curly-haired!
What is your favorite book that you have read in the last month?
What are some tips and tricks you have for other other bloggers?
- Reuse what you can. For eg: Reusable Blocks: I love the block editor in wordpress exactly for that reason. It allows me to create reusable blocks of all sorts, and while I am learning how to create better looking blocks, I am certainly saving time and effort by using this option.
- Have a plan but if you fall behind, don’t worry about it. It is OK. When you need to take a break, just go ahead and do so and don’t feel guilty about it.
- And remember, every new post you write takes you a step ahead from where you were before, so keep doing it!
Do you DNF books?
Yes! If the book does not hold my interest around 30% into it, I most often DNF it (unless I have already heard of it having a really slow start and great things happening later, or similar)…
If your life was a book, what genre would it be?
Not sure, but I would hope it can be written as a comedy!
What is something you wish you did better as a book blogger?
- Had a better NG ratio! But seriously, I want to learn to write my reviews quicker than I do, crisper than I am currently, and not distract myself with other research! For example, when I reviewed The Book of Lost Friends, I ended up looking at the history of the Carnegie Grant Libraries, reading the actual Lost Friend ads on the website, and more….
- I now need to do a ton of work to be able to organize my books and provide my blog readers an easy way to find books on my blog. I do wish I had started and stuck to a consistent tagging of books throughout so I could now list out books by age-groups, genre, authors, and more easily.
What’s the best thing that you have learned as a book blogger?
That the book blogging community is full of so many more just like me! And the book blogging community (well, the blogging community as a whole) is super-duper awesome!!
“People work for money but go the extra mile for recognition, praise and rewards.” Dale Carnegie
The common traits among all my nominees are their seemingly endless energy, and their genuine engagement in the blogging community.
Note: all of these nominees are the ones who motivate me; and are already, always super-motivated themselves.. (from what I see)
Dear all, if you choose to write a blog post about being a Sunshine Blogger Award nominee, then do tag me on twitter or link back here (whenever you choose to do so).
- Alice at Alice’s Grand Adventures
- Amritha at HealthWealthBridge
- Cassie and Kim at the LouLouGirls
- Crystal and Megan at BookStackGoldenMoms
- DJ at BooksandBindings
- Deb Nance at ReaderBuzz
- Gayatri at ElgeeWrites
- Kate at the Bitch Bookshelf
- Martha (and Lia!) at TheMarthaReview
- Marysa at A Nation of Moms
- Stacey at Whispering Stories
Questions For My Amazing Nominees!
I have more than 11 questions below. You can pick any 11 to answer.
- What kind of snack do you prefer – savory or sweet?
- If you could send one thing on a one-way trip into space, what would it be?
- Have you learned a new skill these past few months?
- Your dream vacation?
- Your most memorable childhood memory?
- Have you watched any movie multiple times? Which one and why?
- A happy memory of yours associated with blogging?
- One book which you read and thought “I wish I would’ve written this”
- Do you have a favorite song?
- How do you reward yourself when you want a treat?
- How do you motivate yourself to keep the blog up and running?
- If you could have any superpower what would it be?
- If you had to choose one place you have been to, to recommend others to visit – where would it be and why?
- What’s something that made you smile today?
- What is your worst habit? Your best habit?
- Any weird talents like, being able to touch your nose with your tongue?
And Now, the End of This Post
Dear reader, what motivates you? And feel free to answer any of the questions I answered above or asked my nominees today as well!!