This week, I looked up and realized it is already Wednesday. The days just flew by, like my doctor mentioned today at my annual checkup. And when days run into each other or time just seems to fly, I want to find ways to make the moments matter, to make the days and the weeks and our life better… We should try our best to make it happen, or at least the best we can.. Don’t you agree?
This post contains Amazon and other affiliate links, that at no additional cost to you, I may earn a small commission. Thank you for your support. Please see the full disclosure for more information. I only recommend products I definitely would (or have already) use myself
Make the Moments Matter
So many ways of making moments matter.. and kindness is definitely one of them. During this World Kindness Week, let us consciously work on that which should be an innate part of ourselves, and show a little kindness to people we encounter. Who knows, it might just make the moments matter for them…and make their day!
Ingrid Newkirk says, “The wonderful thing is that it’s so incredibly easy to be kind.” So let us not think too much on it, but just do it!
Little Acts of Kindness
So do the simple things, do the big things too when you can. Here are some ways you can do little acts of kindness and make the moments matter, for yourself and for others too
- Smile: at your spouse, your kids, family, people you meet outside… A smile goes a long way, and you are sure to meet that smile you gave again..
- Compliments: Give a genuine or silly compliment to anyone and everyone. Write down what you appreciate about another family member or a friend, and pass it along (text works too! but if you record yourself and send it, or handwrite it, might make it more memorable)
- Listen: Take the time to listen to someone without interrupting. It shows that you care about what they have to say.
- Be Patient: Practice patience, always, and especially when it is chaotic stress all around. Being calm can also cause a butterfly effect and help those around you.
- Stand Up: Stand up for someone you see is being bullied. And in more literal ways too: If you’re on public transportation and see someone who might need a seat more than you do, offer it to them.
- Opening Doors: A simple gesture like holding the door for someone can brighten their day instantly. And if you can figuratively open a door for someone with an opportunity to better themselves, then do so.
- Click a Pic: Offer to take photos when you see someone taking a photo of their family members/group so they can all be in the same picture. I have done this many times and always, people are glad for it! Plus, almost always, they return the favor, and some of them have taken some of the most amazing family pics we have.
- Keep Your Word: When you commit to something, do it. As simple as that.
- Say Hello, Please, Thank You, & Sorry…
- Like and Share and Comment on Social Media posts of those you admire.
- Be Kind to the Environment in all the ways you can
- Don’t forget to Show Kindness to Yourself
- And so many more
“No one has ever become poor by giving.”― Anne Frank
“Always try to be a little kinder than is necessary.” ― J M Barrie
“Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.”― Mark Twain
“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.”― Wendy Mass
“I have found that it is the small everyday deed of ordinary folks that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love.”― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit
“The shortest distance between two people is a smile.” ― Victor Borge
“How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a weary world.” – William Shakespeare
“Kindness and politeness are not overrated at all. They’re underused.” – Tommy Lee Jones
“We can disagree and still be kind to each other. “ – Gary Vaynerchuk
“Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can. “ – John Wesley
“Life is mostly froth and bubble,
Two things stand like stone.
Kindness in another’s trouble,
Courage in your own.”
― Adam Lindsay Gordon
Reading Misses: Which Ones Should Not be Missed?
I know, this seems like a random section within this post. But of course, for me, reading always helps make the moments matter! This week’s theme over at ThatArtsyReaderGirl for Top Ten Tuesday is Mainstream Popular Authors that I Still Have Not Read. So I have picked some here though all of them might not be mainstream as such (ended up with all women authors for today).
Can you, dear reader, let me know which ones among these I should pick first? I have not read some. of these authors because their genre does not interest me much, and in the case of others, not sure why yet.
- Angie Thomas
- Ann Patchett
- Cassandra Clare
- Colleen Hoover
- Ellen Oh
- Jodi Picoult
- Kristin Hannah
- Maggie Stiefvater
- Margaret Atwood
- Taylor Jenkins Reid
- Toni Morrison
More Kindness Quotes to Make the Moments Matter…
“There is no wrong way to perform an act of kindness.” ― Catherine Ryan Hyde, Pay It Forward
“I feel no need for any other faith than my faith in the kindness of human beings. I am so absorbed in the wonder of earth and the life upon it that I cannot think of heaven and angels.” ― Pearl S. Buck
“When you start giving, instead of getting, you make a difference. You can always give a warm smile, a sincere hello, a positive vibe… your attention, your time, your love, and kindness to those around you.” ― Roy T. Bennett
“Kindness can become its own motive. We are made kind by being kind.” —Eric Hoffer
“You cannot do kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson
“To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.” —Liz Armbruster
“Never look down on anybody unless you’re helping them up.” – Jesse Jackson
“Kindness, I’ve discovered, is everything in life.” ― Isaac Bashevis Singer
“Act with kindness, but do not expect gratitude”. – Confucius
- 13 Wonderful Books About Kindness: Picture Books and More
- Life is Like That – Full of Magical Moments
- 5 Things to do in 5 Minutes to Make Our Day Better
- 13 Ways to Build a Family Legacy Through Stories
- The Power of Moments: Why Certain Experiences Have Extraordinary Impact by Chip and Dan Heath
- Every Moment Matters: Personal Journal. This is a beautiful journal to write down all those beautiful moments.
- Live Your Dash: Make Every Moment Matter by Linda Ellis
And Now, the End of This Post
Dear reader, how do you make the moments matter in your life? Do share your tips with me and others here in the comments. A kindness you gave or received recently?