Looking at my teens, I cannot help but wonder: where did the years go? My older one will be officially done with high school and heading off to college in the fall, while my younger one will be finishing her freshman year of high school at the same time; all this is happening in a matter of days now (by next weekend actually). So I decided to revisit old posts for nostalgic reasons, and decided to revive this recipe of cool delish veggie wraps and then add on some quotes for grads to wrap up the school year!
The Recipe: One Wrap, Many Ways…
Another dusting off the old posts… straight from the archives, but still as wonderfully fresh and popular in our home, these veggie wraps are perfect for school lunches, back yard picnics, and even to serve as part of any grad or end of the school year parties you plan to throw. These have been a favorite lunch for my kiddos from the time they were in elementary school all the way until this past year when they were on remote learning mode. And they continue to ask for it every so often – they miss it when I don’t make it for a while!
- Lavash bread (I use Trader Joes Whole Wheat or regular lavash bread) – 1
- ¼ cup hummus (you can also use cream cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream, and other variations; or a mix of these items as a spread)
- 1/2 cup of mixed vegetables (grilled or fresh – based on your mood – carrots, bell pepper, onions, corn)
- 1/4 cup Tofu – stir fry with some soy sauce, hot sauce for extra flavor; or Paneer – marinate in spices (turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder) and grill
- Variants: add hash browns, shredded cheese, feta cheese, black beans, gorbanzo beans, lettuce, spinach; well, the possibilities are endless
In the photo collage below, my ingredients include: lavash bread, sour cream mixed with spices (chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, salt, and amchur – dry mango powder), marinated and grilled paneer, onions, grilled bell pepper, and fresh carrots
- Heat a frying pan, add a tsp of olive oil. Add chopped onions. When translucent, add the bell pepper (and/or other vegetables) and cook for a few minute. [Note: you can also choose to use fresh uncooked vegetables if you wish]
- If using spinach, chop it fine and add it towards the end (or use fresh)
- Warm the lavash wraps slightly by wrapping it a moist paper towel and zapping it in the microwave for 10 seconds. This helps to roll the wraps more easily once the filling is put on it.
- Now, spread the hummus (or the sour cream mixed with spices as in the photo collage) all over one side of the wrap evenly.
- Start putting the ingredients one by one over the lavash in rows taking care to leave about half of the wrap clear.
- Roll it up tightly and it is ready to eat.
- Wrap with plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 hours. Cut in into 1” slices and enjoy a chilled veggie roll with lemonade for a summer picnic.
- Add olives, feta cheese, and lettuce to make it a Greek wrap.
- Or you can eat it warm. Warm options can include: warm hash browns along with the cooked vegetables and eat it without chilling. Or make ahead and keep it in the fridge and then warm in the toaster before serving warm.
- Make it a falafel and tahini wrap along with some crunchy cucumber and lettuce!
- Another warm variation: add shredded cheese all over the vegetable layer before rolling it up. Put it into the toaster for a quick toast (a minute should do) and eat it warm.
Quotes to Wrap up High School
As I mentioned earlier, my older kiddo (well, now an adult at 18+) is going to be officially graduating from high school next week; and then off to college in the fall. So I decided to let this week’s Top Ten Theme – which is bookish quotes of any theme of our choosing – be all about quotes for grads. Most are from books or bookish (by authors!) while a few might not, but I could not resist adding them here. And I am sure all of them have made their way into one book or another by now.
Of course, there are so many more quotes and I will save them for another post for now. Also there is the book Oh, the Places You’ll Go! but that is a complete book by itself; and I am totally always and will continue to be inspired by that book.
- Top Ten Book Quotes
- Quotable Quotes, Quarantine Quatrains etc.
- Seussian Ode to Oh, the Places You’ll Go!
- Kovid Kitchen: Dessert Edition: No-Cook Kulfi
And Now, the End of This Post
Dear reader, what are some favorite quotes you would want to share with the grad you know? Do let me know. I will add them to my list of inspiring motivational and fun quotes … And I would love to hear your thoughts on the post as always..
And oh yes, what about the veggie wraps? Do you think you are inspired enough to try them out? Would you rather eat them warm or cold?
16 thoughts on “Cool Delish Veggie Wraps & Quotes to Wrap Up High School”
wow! cool ..I need to visit Traders Joe more often I think
Congratulations to your oldest. It does go fast, doesn’t it? I’m so glad I was warned of this before it happened, and that I took the advice of the same person to enjoy every moment.
Love these quotes. There is great wisdom here.
I love that Shakespeare quote.
My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-lgbt-book-quotes/
There are so many options to the basic wrap. There should be enough for the whole summer.
Can you type with a wrap in one hand? Blog on !
I’m hungry, do you deliver? Don’t I wish.
I too enjoy making and eating wraps, so simple and easy, and so good.
Love your quotes also.
I’ve been switching from sandwiches to wraps but nothing as lavish as yours! It looks delish and have to try it! Lia and I made a simple turkey, cheese, and lettuce wrap and I was almost going to post that today!
Well full tummy and year done and dusted. Like the wrap mashup. Thank you for your words.
I like these! Especially the one about appreciating the moment. And the one about journeys. 🙂
THanks for visiting my blog!
Wow! These look really, really delicious. I would love to try this. Seems easy to prepare. Hope I can grab some ingredients tomorrow. Thank you for sharing the recipe.
Love the quotes as well. 🙂
Nice collection of quotes. Thanks.
We love making (and buying) veggie wraps at home. Thank you for sharing your recipe because we’ll have another option. I also love how you need this recipe with a list of quotes to brighten the day.
Love those quotes! And the veggie wrap is the perfect light summer meal.
The veggie wraps sound so good and I love all of these quotes!
The wrap is super tempting, will have to look for lavash bread sometime and try this one. Loved the quotes very motivating and perfect for graduation day. A proud moment indeed and again best wishes to him!
These look gorgeous! I’d make these in the house for lunch, never mind take them to school.
What a great veggie wrap. We are a vegetarian family and that looks delicious!