This one has to be simple, right? Because I did a lot of reading this past month for the A2Z challenge as I scrambled to find new books for each letter; then read them overnight most of the time so I could jot down a quick review for my almost overdue post of the day! But then again, I have to pick just ten of the over 40+ books read over the last month; and that is tough. So I am going at the picks by just focusing on the latter half of the alphabet (plus my most recent read, the review for which I posted yesterday) so it will just be the top ten wonderful recent reads....and Short Six Word Review Summaries for them. Plus ten cool sci-fi reads for kids. May the 4th Be With You!!
This post contains Amazon and other affiliate links, that at no additional cost to you, I may earn a small commission. Please see the full disclosure for more information. I only recommend products I would (or have already) use myself.
Top Ten Wonderful Recent Reads And Their Six Word Reviews
Hurricane Summer: Break your heart, many times over. [Oh, and a Happy Book Birthday to Hurricane Summer]
- Zorgmazoo: Zany rhyming super cool read aloud.
- Yellow Star: Moving, heart-wrenching, inspiring WWII true story
- XX: Poems for the Twentieth Century: cool way to explore twentieth century!
- Wet Cement: A Mix of Concrete Poems: Cements fact: word-play is solidly fun!
- Voices in the Air: Inspiring, swooping, flying and gliding voices…
- Up Verses Down: Poems, Paintings, and Serious Nonsense: For lovers of nonsense, silliness, sweetness
- Three Things I Know Are True: Beautiful beautiful tugging at heartstrings read.
- Red, White, and Whole: leaving you with all-the-feels beautiful novel-in-verse
- Phenomenal Woman: Four Poems Celebrating Women: Simply . Phenomenal . Read & Great Gift Option!
- The One Thing You’d Save: Sweet, thought provoking, perfect for everyone
Ten Cool Sci-Fi Reads For Kids of All Ages
And then since it is May 4th, and my brain decided to go on a sci-fi route; and it is Children’s Book Week as well, here are 10 cool sci-fi reads for kids that I and/or my kids loved. Books range from reads for the little ones to teen reads.
- When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead (8 years and above)
- War of the Worlds by H.G.Wells: I have fond memories of reading the Classics Illustrated version
- Fortunately the Milk by Neil Gaiman (8 – 12 years, and up)
- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Flies Again by Frank Cottrell Boyce (9 – 12 years, and above)
- The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne (And his other books as well, including 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Around the World in Eighty Days)
- The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (10 – 12 years, and up)
- The Twenty-One Balloons by William Pene du Bois (8 – 12 years, and up)
- Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl (8 – 12 years, and up)
- The Giver by Lois Lowry
- Rusty the Squeaky Robot by Neil Clark (4 – 7 years, and up!)
And because it is May the 4th, here is one more series for you (book one of the Star Wars: Choose Your Destiny below)
And Now, the End of this Post
Dear readers, have you read any of the featured books? Or any similar books you would recommend? Your thoughts on those that you have read?