This is my go to pulao recipe when I have no idea what to cook and running out of time. This is quick, easy, colorful , and yummy – yay for veg recipes!
- 1 carrot – shredded
- 1 cup peas and corn
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 1/2 onion – sliced thinly
- 1/2 tsp jeera (cumin seeds)
- 1/2 tsp powdered black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 tsps oil
- 1 tsp ghee
- Soak the rice for ten to fifteen minutes.
- Heat the oil and ghee in a pan. Add the cumin seeds and pepper.
- When slightly browned, add the onions and fry till translucent.
- Next, add the carrot, peas, and the corn and fry for a few minutes till the raw smell of the carrot is gone.
- Add the soaked rice and fry for a few minutes (about 4 to 5 mins). (The photo I have is at this stage)
- Now transfer this to a rice cooker, add 2 1/4 cups of water along with salt, mix and let it cook.
- Serve with cucumber raitha.
Tuesdays: This week’s theme at The Broke and Bookish is the Top Ten Books I Want To Give As Gifts (and to who…even if you won’t actually give them!)
This list was both easy and hard to come up with. I am always recommending books to people (friends, colleagues, cousins, people I meet in libraries, book stores, at school!) but to actually buy a book for someone, I need to really know them and at least a little bit of their reading habits. So here is my list (for some of them, I have a specific recipient(s), for the rest, I have been buying it for friends/kids hoping they will fall in love with the book and will continue doing so)
1. For my son who is of late showing genuine interest in birds – any book about birds will do but i found a few which I am actually contemplating (since i might end up getting only one of them, I put them all under #1)
North American Birds by Les Beletsky (Oct 27, 2010)
Avian Architecture: How Birds Design, Engineer, and Build
by Peter Goodfellow (Jun 5, 2011)
3. The complete set of Tintin comics – My brother loves the series (as do I). So this will be a great gift at sometime not decided yet, for him and one for myself. Now that my son is starting to enjoy the series as well and what with the movie that is out – Tintin is everywhere.
4. The complete set of Asterix comics – Again, my brother and I love this. We grew up reading Asterix’s adventures. My favorite character in these comics is Getafix, the druid! I love his sense of humor.
5. The complete Calvin and Hobbes set- One more set of books that my brother and I love – this series, unlike the earlier two, was something we did not grow up reading but rather discovered and grew to love it while in two different continents! Again, a great favorite of my son as well so buying this as a gift for anyone of my family members kind of means i am doing it for myself as well!
Three Fat Men – Yuri Olesha – would love to buy this as a gift for my kids (and
thus for myself!) – And I want to buy the same edition I had as a kid – this book
is back in India.
by Roald Dahl, Shel Silverstein and Dr.Seuss- cheating a little here but these authors are among my favorites to gift – I have gifted sets of their books already to my kids’ friends and now am looking for the ones to whom I have not yet gifted these yet.
Book Thief – this is a wonderful must-read for most ages and I am going to buy it for myself as well as for a few friends who I think will like it.
9. Technical books/management books – for my husband(as I have mentioned earlier as well, my husband can read these for hours like I devour fiction)
10. Cutting for Stone – this was another recent read I really loved and would be great for a friend of mine, who is a doctor.
And one more – Any ‘How To Draw’ book – for all budding artists I know
MizB of Should Be Reading hosts Teaser Tuesdays. Anyone can play
along. Just do the following:
*Grab your current read.*Open to a
*Share two “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page.
You don’t want to ruin the book for others.
title and author too, so other TT participants can add it to their TBR lists if
they like your teaser.
6 thoughts on “Yummy Tummy Tuesday – Carrot and Peas Pulao..”
Love your blog and I share your affinity for both books and cooking! I would gladly participate in a weekly book-and-a-snack sort of meme; do you know of any?
Thanks for visiting my blog; following you now!
I love the comics for gifts especially Tintin. (My little dog looks just like Tintin.)
Both "The Book Thief" and "Cutting for Stone" are awesome reads. What a great list!
I'm not familiar with "the Evolution of Calpurnia Tate" by Jacqueline Kelly but your teaser has me wanting more!
I too love REcipes (love this one), tRaveling, Reading and wRiting!
I have the complete set of Calvin and Hobbes by the toilet! Hilarious stuff!
@LaurieThank you for the lovely compliment.. and the follow
@Annie @ButteryBooksthe book takes me back to my childhood and so far, adorable. Thank you for the comments and the follow
@JoannaThat is 🙂