It might be winter where you are (like it is for me), and chances are you don’t feel thirsty. But the fact is, we all need to drink some amount of water (not drown ourselves in it though) to stay healthy.
As part of my better-me goals this year, healthy eating is one thing I am working on with the help of the Healthy Meal Planning Bundle(affiliate link). Working towards a healthier me, in addition to healthier eating, also involves exercise for the body and the mind(which I am working on), sleep (I need to step up here), and ensuring I drink enough water.
So here are a few tips to help you stay on track with water intake. I use these myself so I can tell you they have helped me 🙂
- Use this hydration calculator to get an estimate of how much water you should drink – it is different for each person, though the standard recommendation of 8 cups a day will not mean overdoing the amount of water anyhoo…Knowing how much water you should drink will get you started!
- Use an app – most days, I drink enough water, but there are days when I realize at the end of the day that I did not drink any water at all (though I would have had other fluids – my cup(s) of chai, some milk in my oatmeal, yoghurt or buttermilk, fluids from food eaten – eg: soups/gravies/fruits/vegetables). For those days, a reminder would have helped to drink water. On checking out apps for the same, I found and downloaded the Daily Water Tracker Reminder app. It sends notifications and when I update my intake, it cheers me on!! Confetti everywhere – virtual of course..
- Keep it close – whatever you chose to drink your water in, keep it close.. A bottle is recommended so you do not need to go for refills too often (or use that need to not drink water), but anything will work as long as you have it right by you.
- Water is boring? Well, jazz it up – berries, lemon, pineapple, some mint leaves, a bit of ginger, and more. It will help, swimmingly!
- Or have a hot cup of herbal tea (my favorite is peppy peppermint followed by the calming chamomile).
- Hydrate with food – water does not have to be the only way to hydrate yourself. Have yourself a warm soup on these cold winter days, or a bowl of watermelon to beat the summer heat..
- Hydrate with other beverages – well, in moderation and not in an 1:1 ratio of beverage:water – mostly lesser than water. Smoothies, milkshakes, buttermilk, plain old milk – all count…Caffeinated drinks also count towards your intake (though on the flip side, they are diuretic too, so the amount of fluids consumed is not equal to the amount that can be counted as intake). Water down your fruit juice to make the best of both worlds. (Not listing sodas or alcoholic beverages here, sorry!).
- Eat spicy foods (!!) – think this through though!! Eat only the (extra) amount of spice you can handle. Spicy foods do increase the need to drink fluids. In our home, we tend to cool down a spicy meal with buttermilk or curds in addition to water.
- Drink a glass of water before every meal. This will help you control what you eat. Per a study(a) done, people who drink water before their meals end up consuming about 75 fewer calories for each meal; and it adds up to – weight loss – that elusive beast – slowly but surely.
- Think of the benefits of drinking enough water – increased metabolism, glowing skin, overall improved health, among others – and that should motivate you to keep drinking
- Drink water when you are thirsty – but note that you need to be aware of when you are thirsty!
- Drink water when you feel hungry – sometimes, our bodies confuse thirst and hunger, so instead of reaching out for that snack, drink some water; and you may realize you were actually thirsty (in the process, you have consumed fewer calories). And if it is hunger, you can eat that snack or meal after you drink your water (and back to #9)
- Drink water first thing in the morning, and then every time you do some other specific action so you can keep them together in mind.
h/t:among other sources, WebMD
You can check out my previous posts for the month and for Ultimate Blog Challenge below. Yes, I know more than a few days are missing. This is day 17’s post. Today’s post goes towards Thursday 13